Got a college fair coming up? A little bit of prep work can reap big payoffs. (Wait, what kind of payoff?) This article by The College Essay Guy is super helpful.
The Quick Synopsis:
First, the student needs to consider what is the goal of the college fair? What’s the point? Possible points besides making Mom & Dad happy that can actually help a student get into college:
- Learn about opportunities
- Show genuine interest in a school
- Gather talking points you can use to write the “Why us” essay
THE TOP THREE TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS ARTICLE:
- Review the list ahead of time.Choose 3-5 schools.
- Write 3 interesting, specific questions to ask. (If you can find out the answer in 3 seconds on Google. Ask another question. And, maybe one specific to your interests.)
- What’s the one piece of advice you’d give an incoming freshman about your school?
- Where do you go for your favorite snack on campus?
- If I’m an engineering major, is it still possible to study abroad and graduate in 4 years?
- I’m undecided about my major, although I do love history and enjoyed my biology class last year. How does advising at XYZ U help undecided students?
- Talk to at least one rep from a school you’ve never heard of.
To read Ethan’s full article, click here.